Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fry Bread at Mitsitam Cafe in Washington, DC

I've already reviewed the Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian. I mentioned the honey covered fry bread, but I've since become so obsessed with it that I feel it deserves its own post.

The way Mitsitam makes it is a bit like what happens when you fry up pizza dough. It's thicker than your average doughnut and it isn't sweet. You can order the plain unsweetened version, which would traditionally be topped with meats. Or you can order it covered in honey and sugar like I do.

My obsession with fry bread is not a good thing for my weight, as (according to the USDA) each lovely fry bread is reportedly about 700 calories and 27 grams of fat - ouch. Still, if you are anywhere near the mall in DC and haven't given it a try yet, I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment