Monday, February 23, 2009

Review of Jaleo

Jaleo is a sister restaurant to Oyamel, owned by the same chef - Jose Andres.

Like Oyamel, it focuses on small plates, but these plates are more Spanish than Mexican. Homemade chorizo on a puree of garlic, seared scallops with pistachios, raspberries
and red beet dressing, gorgeous selections of Spanish meats and cheeses, and (of course) paella all make appearances.

The restaurant is not as artsy and funky as Oyamel. In fact, the outside reminds me a bit of a diner. Inside is more elegant than you might expect. The service is excellent.

I must now admit to you that I have only gone there one time. While I found all the food delicious, it just didn't impress me as much as Oyamel or Ceiba and those are the restaurants I keep returning too. Still, Jaleo consistently rates higher than both of those amongst some critics. The only thing to do is try them all.

Jaleo, 480 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC

No comments:

Post a Comment