Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Point Lookout Prison Memorial

Just outside of Point Lookout State Park in Southern Maryland, Chris and I spotted a monument covered in confederate flags. We were completely creeped out and so had to stop.

The monument is actually a memorial for confederate soldiers. Not just any confederate soldiers though. Turns out there was a prison located at Point Lookout and, according to the monument, prison conditions were so bad that thousands of the prisoners died.

I don't have much sympathy for the confederate "cause" or for confederate flag flying, but I do believe in prisoner rights and the Geneva Conventions (which were, ironically, being incubated during this time). So I found the monument interesting. I suppose if my great grandfather died in a union prison I'd have a slightly different impression of the union soldiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment