Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Review of Cuba de Ayer

Cuba de Ayer is not actually in DC, it's in Burtonsville, MD. I was very excited to hear about a Cuban restaurant in the area and hopped over the first chance I got.

Although the outside looks like your average dumpy strip mall, the inside is actually quite cute. Deep red walls are covered with Caribbean paintings. Comfortable booths line the walls.

The menu has all the Cuban staples. Chris and I decided to stick with sandwiches. I got the chicken. He got the Cuban.

Disappointingly, my sandwich was not pressed. Also, they did not have any of the little potato crunchies on either sandwich. The sides we ordered were tasty (black beans and rice and yucca fries). The mojito I had was phenomenal, probably the highlight of the evening. The lowlight was the Cuban coffee.

Cuban coffee is not plain espresso! It is espresso with tons of sugar! It should be like syrup! It should have a froth on top!

If the place was close by I might stop by on occasion for a mojito and a passable Cuban sandwich, but the distance and the sad excuse for Cuban coffee means this will probably be a one time deal for me. Once again, a Cuban place disappoints. You just can't get good Cuban outside of Miami. I'm starting to think I'd even be disappointed with Cuban food in Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment