Wednesday, August 19, 2009

C&O Canal in Washington, DC

Before eighteen wheelers, barges were used to move stuff around. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal was used to bring things from Washington DC all the way up to Cumberland, MD (on the Pennsylvania border) until the 1920s.

Some of the canal isn't actually canal anymore, but the parts by Washington, DC are. In the pic you can see a tourist barge being pulled along by some historically dressed reenactors and a couple tired looking horses mules.

Bikers sometimes take the canal path all the way up to the end. There is a great website that gives you all the 411. Perhaps one day I'll be feeling very industrious. Or at least I'd like to bike up to Great Falls.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Mel. I enjoy your blog. I would just add that I think those are mules, Mel, not horses. Mules. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's embarrassing. Don't you hate when you discover you don't know your ass from your mule/horse/unicorn.

    ReplyDelete