Tuesday, January 27, 2009

American Art Museum's Contemporary Art Collection

This weekend I discovered the contemporary art collection at the Smithsonian Museum of American Art. I don't know how I missed this on previous visits.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of modern art. In the "art for art's sake" vs. "art with a purpose" argument, I fall squarely in the more utilitarian category.

The American Art Museum's collection definitely has something to say, and doesn't require a masters in art appreciation to enjoy it.

The neon in the photo outlines the United States, It is filled with televisions showing all sorts of snippets from pop culture. It is how we see ourselves, how we sell ourselves, oversimplifications, stereotypes...

There's also a great piece by Duane Hanson. His stuff gets me every time. You may not recognize his name, but I'll be you've seen his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment