Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Review of La Tomate

This week I'm taking a break from my quest for a good Mexican restaurant in DC. Instead, I'm going to talk about an Italian place right around the corner from the apartment.

La Tomate is the kind of restaurant where you can go in jeans, but you could also dress up a bit. They have a prime location in dupont and you'll rarely have to wait for a table in the triangular, two-story dining room. They also have a great outdoor seating area in summer.

The service is generally attentive, if occasionally a bit stuffy. The menu is extensive. You'll find a full range of pastas (running about $13 to $18 for the meal or, in some cases, $8 for an appetizer size). Entrees include a pounded pork chop grilled in truffle oil and breast of duck grilled with plum and ginger sauce. I always mean to try new things, but I can never pass up the veal ravioli in tomato basil sauce.

I'm not sure I would travel far and wide to eat at La Tomate, as there are many other Italian restaurants in the city that are just as good or better. But for anyone in the general vicinity, it's a good, reliable choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment