Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Review of El Tamarindo

Continuing with our Mexican theme (sort of), Chris and I went to El Tamarindo this week. The restaurant is actually Salvadoran and Mexican. It feels a lot more like your typical Latin American restaurant than Guapo's (too gringo-ized) or Casa Oaxaca (not quite casual enough). Picture dark wood with large paintings of wrestlers on the walls. Patrons included young couples, families, and a large table of men in town for DC Pride.

My office mate tipped me off that the Salvadoran food at El Tamarindo is better than the Mexican food. I chose the special combo which included a tamale, a pupusa, rice, beans and whatnot. Chris ordered a plate of dead animals (chicken, steak, and sausage). We also ordered a couple margaritas.

The requisite chips and salsa were good, but again not anything to write home about. DC doesn't seem to be into the salsa fresca. My pupusa was a bit flavorless, but the tamale was good - although it was bizarrely moist compared to Mexican tamales and I think it may have had potato in it. Chris's chicken was a bit dry, but the steak was tasty and so was the sausage. My margarita was probably the best part. It was extra limey and refreshing.

Chris has also eaten their breakfasts and gives raves to the huevos rancheros. I'm not sure we would be heading over much if it wasn't right down the street, but it's a good neighborhood option for those of us in the Dupont, Adams Morgan area.

El Tamarindo, 1785 Florida Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20009

No comments:

Post a Comment