Friday, June 6, 2008

Review of Casa Oaxaca

DC doesn't have a huge number of Mexican restaurant. Many of the ones that are here are more tex-mex margarita and fajita places than Mexican. So Chris and I were very excited to try Casa Oaxaca, which we were told had some of the best Mexican in town.

I think I should start by mentioning that I ended the night lying in bed, waiting for the Benadryl to work on the red splotchiness that had taken over my body. At first I thought I had an allergic reaction (although I never had an allergy before), but it appears that I may actually have gotten scombroid poisening from the fish I ate. I think ending up violently ill after a meal is an important piece of information.

The scary illness was really unfortunate, because Casa Oaxaca is quite popular in town. I know many people who have eaten there without any problems. It is small and intimate, casual enough for a beer and chips by the bar, but nice enough for an intimate dinner for two. The hostess seemed genuinly happy to see us (and not in a desperate, thank god we have customers sort of way). The waiter was slightly slow toward the end of the meal, but generally attentive.

The ubiquitous chips and salsa arrived quickly. Good, but nothing to get too excited about. Chris was happy to see Dos Equis Amber on draft. I ordered a sangria which turned out to be a pretty strong drink, but I didn't mind the extra brandy at all.

Chris's arrachera was tasty, but not as well spiced or swimming in succulent sauce as the arracheras he was addicted to in Mexico City. My tuna in mole negro was cooked slightly more than I like. That was probably a good thing considering that it was the tuna that made me violently ill - a shame because the mole sauce was incredibly good.

For dessert, Chris and I had some churros (bit on the tooth breaking side) and some mango ice cream (a bit on the icy side). We also had some Oaxacan coffee, which was pre-spiced and sweetened and truly delicious. But by the end of our coffee, I was already feeling a little headache coming on. By the time we got home, the heart palpitations and rash set in.

Needless to say, we won't be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment