Monday, October 13, 2008

Harrods Foodie Mecca in London

My second favorite thing in London (after seeing A Midsummer Nights Dream) was the food court in Harrods department store. Those are the food court fishmongers.

In addition to being a gourmet market, it also has several counters where you can order food - including a caviar counter. Chris and I ate at the deli. The matzo ball soup was just like my mothers, seriously. The lox was perfect. My turkey sandwich was great.

Of course, the whole lunch cost like $70, which is ridiculous. In fact, everything was incredibly expensive. The uncooked lobsters cost about $80 each. At those prices, Chris and I figure we ate about $400 worth of lobster on our trip to Maine. Woo Hoo.

The best were the chocolate and pastry counters. They were mobbed, but we elbowed our way in for our fix. I was in sugar heaven. We bought a strawberry tart and a big giant coffee cream filled puff (which we ate later). We also bought some apple pie, truffles, and fudge (most of which I stupidly forgot at the hotel).

If you ever go to London, do not miss gorging at Harrods. But skip the rest of the tourist filled mecca of materialism that is the rest of the department store. I could barely make it through there.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you might want to try getting some Maine lobster right now. According to an article from Mainebiz,the price has dropped to near record levels.
    http://tinyurl.com/3mvga3

    I'm going to be looking for some deals myself. And I'm from Maine!

    ReplyDelete