Monday, July 13, 2009

Review of the Tabard

The Tabard is an inn and restaurant. The eclectic inn has been in operation since 1917. I've never stayed there, but it is the place I usually put up guests when they come to town.

The restaurant; however, I have been to on several occasions. Tucked into the back of the house, it feels like a hidden bistro. The small, brick enclosed and covered courtyard is one of the best places for a weekend brunch (assuming you can get a reservation) or a quiet weekday breakfast.

The dining room is the scene of power lunches during the day and romantic dinners at night. The highlight of all meals are the sweets. They have an incredible desert menu, currently highlighting Turkish Creme Brulee and chocolate truffle torte.

My least favorite meal at the Tabard was the salmon I had the one time I ate there for dinner. It was, sadly, a bit mush. The other diners were much happier with their meals, but I still prefer to stick with breakfast, lunch, and desert. If you are going to drop $25 or $30 for an entree, there are better places in DC to do it (food wise).

Brunch and lunch, on the other hand, are hard to beat. And, in a city with a serious shortage of hotels, the Tabard is one of the best (and most economical) choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment