Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gay Rights Rally in Dupont Circle

Last night there was a rally in Dupont Circle in support of gay marriage and civil rights in general. I'm bad at guessing crowds, but I would say at least 500 people showed up.

That's as good a protest crowd as I've seen since I've been in DC. Interestingly, while most of the anti-capitalist/anti-war type protests have more cops than protesters, I only saw one cop.

Apparently, hundreds of homosexuals gathering in a public place to chant does not bring fear to the DC police. Two homosexuals getting married, on the other hand...

Speakers included two clergy, the vice president of the National Organization for Women, and Council Member Phil Mendelson. One of the clergy, told us to expect a coming out party next Tuesday of DC clergy in support of gay rights. He said the group includes black, white, straight, gay, baptist, methodist, and catholics. Stay tuned for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment