Friday, March 2, 2007

Sad Goodbye to Chacala

That’s Chris on our balcony in Chacala (before he broke a guitar string).

We delayed leaving Chacala for a day. I gave Chris my stomach bug. Wasn’t that nice of me? Luckily it wasn’t too bad.

It was a very sweet and extended goodbye with Lupe and Pablo. Poor Chris stood there and smiled, trying not to fall over. In addition to carrying his two-ton backpack and guitar, he also had my box of books. Yes, I brought a box of books. I know. It’s a little crazy. I figure I will leave them when I finish them. Yeh, yeh. It’s still crazy.

We had to take the local bus/taxi into Las Varas first. (Picture on old minivan blasting mariachi music or love songs). The bus doesn’t have a schedule. It comes “cada rato” or “every little while” so we shlepped our stuff to a restaurant near the main road and waited. Eventually we heard the bus honking and went out to let him know we wanted on.

When we arrived in Las Varas , the Guadalajara bus was already there. We had to make a run for it. Luckily, the Chacala bus/taxi driver was nice enough to carry some of our crap for us and the Guadalajara bus waited.

So that is it for Chacala. We caught the four hour bus ride to Guadalajara, on which we saw the Adam Sandler movie Click (subtitled, not dubbed, thank goodness). The scenery outside went from Southern California hilly scrubbrush, dotted with a pueblo here and there, to golf courses and gated communities as we got closer to Guadalajara. We arrived in Guadalajara on Wed afternoon. We didn’t get a chance to do much yesterday as it was inauguration day for the new governor. More on Guadalajara next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment