Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Drive to Tulsa

Like the pic? That's Chris wearing some plant at a greenhouse in Tulsa.

Let me catch you all up on what’s been happening for the last couple weeks.

The plan was to rent a van, throw the boxes and cats in it, and (after a quick pit-stop to visit Miss in L.A.) drive like hell for three days until we got to Tulsa. We thought it would be a good idea to avoid traffic and do our driving at night.

Of course, everything takes about 10 times longer than you think it is going to take, even if you take that fact into consideration (Jan’s rule). Chris and I had almost no sleep the last couple days before we left and were completely delirious. We wanted to leave at 2:00 a.m., but did not end up leaving until after 5:00 a.m. By that time, there was already traffic. We took the 152 across the mountains. I’ll let Chris tell you about the endless fun we had on that little ride. I will recommend that, if you bring two cats on a winding mountain road where there is nowhere to stop and where agro pickups are on your butt, bring plenty of wet wipes.

We were supposed to meet Miss and Miguel for breakfast that morning, but there was no way we were going to make L.A. by then, so we checked into a motel in nowheresville (off of highway 5) and got some rest. Things went much better after that. We got to L.A. for dinner (even missed L.A. traffic) and then got back out on the road. We made it to Needles that night, Albuquerque the next night and Tulsa the night after that.

Not much time for sightseeing when you are driving with cats, not that there is much to see on the 40 anyway. I did; however, finally figure out when U.S. culture really pays off. When you are on a long driving trip, with no time to make any stops, the fact that everything is totally monotonous, predictable and right off the highway turns out to be pretty appealing. When Chris and I spotted certain types of shopping centers and then, just as predicted, there was a Starbucks right where it should be - we were so happy. I know there are some of you who gasped as you read that, but when you’ve been drinking gas station coffee for a day or two, a Starbucks latte is like a miracle from god (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Here is the other thing about monotonous and predictable chain restaurants. You know what you are going to get and you don’t actually interact with anyone. The one time Chris and I got off the Wendy’s-Applebees-Starbucks circuit, we ended up completely depressed. The stop was in a little one-street town somewhere between Albuquerque and Amarillo. I’m pretty sure it was still New Mexico. We found a “café” that looked like it might serve breakfast. Turns out it was a burger place. It was late, so we figured what the hay. After breakfasting on burgers, we overheard two locals talking. It went something like this.

“You still doing your antiquing thing?”

“No, with the economy the way it is, I had to get a real job. I still have a piece at so-and-so’s shop, but she’s going out of business. Times are tough. How’s your family?”

“My husband died a few months ago, third family member I lost in as many months.”

There was more, but by that time Chris and I were thoroughly depressed and had to leave in order to avoid a public display. You know how I hate those.

Here is the other thing that sticks in my head about the drive - Amarillo, Texas. The people there must be really nice. They must also have no sense of smell whatsoever, cause the entire town smells like shit, literally. The bathroom in Wendy’s smelled fabulous, but when I walked outside all I could smell was shit. Here is the amazing thing. The place has traffic, bad traffic. It’s just crazy - shit, traffic and chains.

I’m now in Tulsa. I know I’m in Tulsa, because (as I write this) there is Nascar on the television, flesh on the grill, and beer in the fridge. So as not to do Tulsa an injustice, I must also tell you that I managed to find a chain of organic grocery stores and a tapas restaurant. They also have something you coastal snobs don’t, an Amish community. We went to an Amish farm and got huge cinnamon roles. We also went to another Amish grocery for peaches and cheese and all kinds of other homemade loveliness. If you ever come this way, I would highly recommend a stop.

Aside from visiting and some minor driving around town, that pretty much catches you all up. We are leaving Tuesday morning for Mexico. I’ll blog when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment